Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Recycled Yard Lights

Hey there!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas!  I realized that we are in the middle of the after-Christmas sales, and thought this idea might be timely.  Have you noticed that some decorations are clearly for Christmas only, but some of them are basically normal items that are disguised as Christmas stuff?  Take these for example:



And let me apologize now for the bad pictures... I didn't think it was worth breaking out the real camera for this one, and well, I learned my lesson.  


Anyway, these are crackled glass yard lights in Christmas disguise.  They look just like some of the ones you see in the spring, but with candy canes and snowflakes... so, when these go on sale as stores are clearing out the Christmas inventory, it might just be a good time to pick up a few.  

Don't want the candy canes all summer?  No problem!  Bring in every 20-something DIYer's favorite weapon:



Yes, that's right.  Not just spray paint; Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.  So, if you tape off the glass and paint the rest:


You end up with something like this:


And let's just pretend this is outside in some leafy green plants:


So, now for the disclaimer... Sometimes I think companies use cheaper materials in the holiday stuff because they are betting that you'll only use the stuff for a month or two.  The globes on these are glass, but the base is plastic.  Honestly, I'm not sure how well they will hold up, but I like that the glass top won't fade and crack like some of the cheaper lantern-ish lights.  The battery is supposedly replaceable, so that won't be an issue, and I can always replace the stem(?) part with a metal pipe if needed.  So, they are at least worth a shot... for the right price.

I made 8 of them, and it cost around $4 a piece including the paint.

And now we patiently wait for spring...

Any other recycled Christmas decorations out there?  I would love to hear your ideas!

~Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment