Sunday, February 8, 2015

DIY Yarn Monogram

Hey Everyone!

Another easy project on the list for today.  This is one that I made a while ago, but it was deceptively easy, and since I used supplies that I had laying around the house, it didn't cost me anything!  I'll be explaining how I made our letter 'h' monogram that hangs on the living room wall 


ignore the ugly thermostat!


Here's how to make it:

Step 1: Pick your letter and font
I just searched through MS Word to find an 'h' that I liked, but font options are pretty much limitless on the internet. 

Step 2: Draw/Trace the letter onto cardboard in your desired size and cut it out
I couldn't print out my 'h' in the size I wanted (It's probably 20" tall), so I free-handed the outline.  The nice part is that you won't see the cardboard later, so you don't have to worry about drawing extra lines.

Step 3: Wrap yarn around your letter to cover the cardboard   
I used white yarn that I had laying around, but of course you can pick any color you like.  If you look very closely, you might be able to see that in a couple places, I had to wrap it going one direction, then cover it a second time going the other direction (like at the very top and bottom, and where the curved part of the h starts).  It might take a few tries to get it just right, and some double stick tape may come in handy too.  I pulled the yarn together in a couple places in the back to help it on the corners:


  

Step 4: Add any embellishments you like
I took some linen and silky fabrics that I had laying around and made the flowers.  Hopefully this closeup gives you an idea of what they look like:



The "roses" are made by getting a long strip of fabric (you can sew a couple shorter strips together to make a long one), and wrapping it around, twisting every once in a while to give the look of petals.  The silky ones are just pieces cut into kind of a 4 leaf clover shape, layered on stop of each other.  I used one of the white berry things to hold them together.

And here you have it:
 

How's that for inexpensive and easy?

Happy DIY-ing!
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment